Thursday, June 10, 2010

Helen



In my story How I got Another Sister I recall the arrival of my half-sister Helen, who, unbeknownst to me, my father had had out-of-wedlock before I was born. “I was here first” I reminded my father when he instructed me to share my room with her. Although I was very unhappy the day I had to give up my solitude, over the years my appreciation of Helen did grow, until her death when I wrote this poem.





HAPPY BIRTHDAY HELEN
Welcome, sweet springtime
My sister Helen would play, and then
the tune on the piano would change
to Happy Birthday. Helen, singing
lustily in her soprano,
Happy Birthday to me.

Happy Birthday to you
dear Helen, I hope
you’re having a ball,
a blast, I hope
they’re tooting horns
for you, and your
death is filled
with joyous recognition
of your wonderful self.

No comments: